Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rant #1

In this rant, I'm going to be talking about video game music, specifically one that got stuck in my head as I was thinking about this post. Super Mario Galaxy. I got this game for Christmas last year and I've played it so much that when I play with my cousins now, I'm whistling along with the music. As this music was playing in my head, I wondered, how did that come to be what we hear in the game today? Thanks to Wikipedia, I've learned more about SMG's music, and I'm going to share that with you!
At the beginning, Mahito Yokota (who was in charge of the composition of the music) wanted SMG to have a Latin style of music. This was because a Latin percussion instruments (like congas and bongo drums) had been used in past Mario games. He used these instruments and a synthesizer to make the sci-fi sounds for the game's theme song. The game's designer (Yoshiaki Koizumi) approved the song, but was told by another composer (Koji Kondo) that it was no good. A few months later three different options were shown to Shigeru Miyamoto. The first was orchestral, the second was orchestral and pop, and the last was pop. The orchestral music was chosen for the theme song (written by Koji Kondo) and it was decided that the game's soundtrack would be written for a symphony.
I thought just this itself was pretty amazing, but there still more things I have learned about the music!
Apparently the music was played at strange tempos so that it would match up with Mario's movements and the different sound effects better. A few themes from previous Mario games were used in various levels throughout the game. And probably the thing I think it the coolest, is that some of the music it is more interactive compared with other games. I never payed attention to this, but at certain points in SMG when there is an increase in tension, the Wii has the ability to adjust the speed of the tempo to match what is currently happening in the game. One example it listed was when you fight Bowser, the music will speed up as you get closer to him.
I thought writing about SMG music was very interesting. I think the sound in this game is really cool, even to down to the sound it makes when you click "Save" or "Don't Save". The soundtrack for this game is so perfect, it's hard to imagine what it would've been like otherwise.
I never noticed in great detail how much music has an effect on a video game. It provides the game with character. Super Mario Galaxy has definitely succeeded in doing this, the music is amazing!
It's neat finding out how one of your interests correlates with another interest that you have!

Just so you understand what I'm talking about, here's something you can check out!
(I swear I did not mean to rhyme!) Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqEfB6IYmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bitZ9e4lY

Even if you just search "Super Mario Galaxy Music" on Youtube, you'll see others as well. Or you could just get the video game and play it! If you're into Mario, of course!

1 comment:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Wow. Who knew so many politics went into the composing of music for a game? I sure didn't. I really am interested to hear how some of these effects work, particularly the idea of music speeding up and slowing down to suit the actions onscreen. While this isn't specifically a musical action (rather, and act of programming), it creates an other-worldly effect as you seem to be conducting the music!

I'm really excited to see what Nintendo intends for Wii Music - with 60 instruments in there, there has to be something for everyone!

Great concept for a blog!

10/10