Monday, October 13, 2008

Is Music The Career For Me?

Music will always be a part of my life, and I can guarantee each of my classmates will say the same thing.
When I started writing this, I thought about my two cousins, Kristen and Abby. Both were really into music when they were in school. Now Kristen teaches in Winnipeg and has directed and played music on a number of cruise ships. Abby works in the movie industry. I think they are so cool!
As for how I will be using it, I'm not 100% sure, at least career-wise. I can't say for sure whether I will pursue a music career or not, so I will talk about possible careers I could see myself doing and why I may not go through with them.
I would really love to work with music within the movie industry. When watching LOTR Special Edition DVDs I saw some different careers that looked really interesting. The first was dealing with what we are learning about right now, expect it was with a concert band. (I'll get more of a feel with that once we start working with the band concerts.) I would enjoy this because I have more knowledge about concert band than I do for rock band. I know about the different types of instruments and how they should sound with the rest of the band. Listening to soundtracks like LOTR inspire me to want to be a part of that process. That type of music just overwhelms me and I love it so much, to think I could do that one day would be amazing. The second career I saw was dealing with sound effects. The people working on LOTR got to create sounds for things such as imaginary creatures and weapons. I would enjoy doing this for two reasons. One, you'd get to use your imagination and creativity, and I absolutely love doing that! Second, you'd get to experiment with a wide range of sound. You wouldn't be limited to a certain genre of sound, it would all be open for you to be influenced and inspired by. In the careers I've described, the thing I would probably enjoy the most was the feeling you would get once you saw the final product. That feeling you get when you're like "Wow, I helped make that!". (And winning an Academy Award wouldn't be too bad either, lol!)
Something that might hold me back from exploring these careers would be my confidence level. I don't know if I could handle all the stresses that would come with the job. Another thing is just because we've only just begun this course, and I don't think I've experienced enough yet to make a yes or no decision. After finishing the course, I will probably have a better sense of where music stands as a career with me. One other reason I might not pursue a music career is because I also really enjoy graphic design and photography, and may want to choose one of those as my career.
Well, that's my discussion on my future with music. I think it would be really cool to have a career in music, but if it doesn't happen, so be it. Music will always be around me, whether I'm making money off of it or not.

1 comment:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Cool thoughts, Caitlin. I like to hear people looking 'outside the box' for a career in something that they love. I wouldn't let confidence be an issue - I can just abour guarantee that, as you live life, you will gain more confidence day by day. I look at the way you are now as compared to when you came into the school, and it's night and day - and it will only improve from there.

Another angle that you could work into the music industry while maintaining your passion for graphic arts and photography is to blend the two and become a graphic designer for a record label or artist. That would enable you to be around music all the time (one love) and be creative in the visual arts (another love).

Good blogging.

9/10